How to prepare for an outdoor maternity session
To help you prepare for your maternity photoshoot, we've put together a list of recommendations, which are just to help you feel better on D-Day.
And for the rest, you are encouraged to have fun and be yourself!
When to schedule it
The best time to plan your pregnancy session is around 28 to 36 weeks, when the tummy is nice and round and you are still comfortable moving and walking around.
The best time of the day
For all outdoor sessions, ideally early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
The reason is quite simple, the light! We will then have a wonderful soft golden light that will compliment all the photos.
Especially on a very sunny day, we want to avoid as much as possible having the sun high in the sky as it can create unflattering shadows on the face and eyes area.
What to wear
You are not alone, this is the most frequently asked question!
First, aim for comfort. If you are coming with your partner or children our advice is to coordinate, but don't be to “matchy-matchy”. Think about complementary colors. Avoid big stripes or big logos on clothing. Think neutral with a few pops of color.
Bring 2 or 3 different outfits for a change of style or colors in the photos. Make sure you iron them and remove the labels.
Wear clothes that hug your pretty bump and are not too baggy. You want to show off that belly!
If you choose to wear maternity dresses for some of the photos, please wear nude strapless underwear and bra.
You can come as dressed or as casual as you like. Or a mixture of both.
What to bring with you
All that you want! but here are some suggestions ...
- Baby accessories: a pair of slippers, the first outfit, something with the baby's name on it.
- A clear ultrasound photo
- Your dog, on the condition that he is calm and that he is comfortable being alone for a while or that a third person accompanies you to watch him when they are not in the photos
- Accessories that are dear to you or that you simply want to include in your photos
- Smoke, lights, balloons ... we are open to the craziest ideas, but be sure to let us know in advance so that we can prepare as well as possible.
- Snack, water, mirror, hairbrush...
Important things to keep in mind:
• Please allow approximately an hour or more for your maternity photoshoot. We may not start shooting as soon as you arrive, we like to talk about the shoot and share ideas, make sure you are comfortable.
• Do not wear anything with an elastic on your belly for a few hours before your session. The elastic can leave unflattering marks on your stomach. Watches, hair ties on the wrist, and some other jewelry can have the same effect. Don't forget your feet - tight socks / shoes can leave marks too!
• Cell phones, wallets and other items that you might have in your pocket should go in a bag so you don't risk getting bumps in the photos.
• Apply moisturizing lotion to your stomach, hands and lips (and any other visible dry skin you may have) just before coming to your photoshoot.
• Since your hands and feet will most likely be visible in the photos, please have well-groomed nails according to your personal style. Just clean and well-cut nails, clear nail polish or a nice manicure / pedicure especially for the event.
• Also, if you've seen any maternity pictures that you like, send them to us!
Our goal is to create images that match your unique vision of your pregnancy, and we'll do our best to give you what you want.
By working together, we can create beautiful images of you with a natural feel.
We can't wait to share this experience with you!
Flori & Norm